Dibrugarh police has detained three students in connection with the Dibrugarh University ragging incident at PNGB Hostel in which a first semester M Com student of Dibrugarh University Anand Sharma was critically injured.
Pranjit Baruah, Niranjan Thakur and Simanta Hazarika were detained in a late night operation led by SP Shwetank Mishra and ASP Bitul Chetia while search is on to nab the other culprits.
Mother of Anand Sharma, Sarita Sharma has lodged a FIR at Dibrugarh Police station against the culprits allegedly involved in ragging and torturing her son mentally and physically, attempting to kill him, looting his money and snatching away his mobile, taking objectionable photographs by putting alcohol and weed in his hand with a conspiracy for their future defence.
She has accused some ex- students and senior students in her FIR namely,
1. Rahul Chetry (ex-student),
2. Dibyajyoti Gogoi (3rd Semester, Dept of Applied Geology),
3. Subrajyoti Baruah (3rd Sem, Dept of Pol. Sc.),
4. Niranjan Thakur (3rd Sem, Centre for Physical Education),
5. Kalyan Dutta (3rd Sem, Dept of History) and several others of P.N.G.B. hostel of Dibrugarh University.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma tweeted about the incident, “It has come to notice that a Dibrugarh University student is hurt in an alleged case of ragging. Close watch maintained & followup action coordinated with district admn. Efforts on to nab the accused, victim being provided medical care. Appeal to students, say NO to Ragging.”